Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Caregiver Matters



Hello, I am Dr. Maria T. Brown, a trained geriatric social worker and a
researcher in the field of aging.

Normally, I use this blog to express my opinions about things going on in the world.  Today, however, I want to tell you about the new YouTube channel I am launching, called Caregiver Matters.  All too often, families find themselves in the position of providing care to older members of their family, who may or may not want their assistance even if they need it. And many families end up figuring their situation out as they go along, without assistance, because they are unaware of the resources available or the situations they will encounter.

I have personal experience caring for my aging parents, have worked with family caregivers in a dementia clinic, and have facilitated caregiver support groups. In fact, it was my experiences as caregiver to my parents that pushed me into getting my social work degree and my desire to understand the elder care system, and perhaps influence change in that system, that pushed me to get my PhD.

Even as I pursue my academic work on aging, I know that many of us who are caring for older adults really need simple, practical information on how to provide care, how to manage the responsibilities of care, and where to turn for help in providing that care. So I am launching this new YouTube channel, Caregiver Matters, to provide information and encouragement for people who are caring for the older adults in their lives. I hope that if you have need for this kind of information, you will visit my channel and let me know what issues or challenges you are facing as a caregiver.

Wishing you the best of luck in your caregiving journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment