Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Dunkin Donuts sexist crap

On the way into work this morning, I head two radio spots in a row for Dunkin Donuts.  I'm paraphrasing here, but you will get the gist of what happened:

Spot 1:
Man: what are you doing?
Woman: blowing on my hot chocolate to cool it off
Man: you're drinking it through a straw... from a cup... that says "hot chocolate coolata" on it...
Woman: oh yeah (giggles)

Spot 2:
blah blah blah chicken sandwich blah blah blah
Woman: now that's some information I can really sink my teeth into
Man: you mean chicken
Woman: (happily) I stand corrected

What do these spots have in common, other than being about Dunkin Donuts summer specials?  Oh yeah, the woman isn't that bright, and she's thrilled to have the man correcting her. Thrilled.

Maybe I wouldn't have noticed it if I had heard just one of them on their own, but two in a row, it's kind of painfully obvious that DD thinks women are idiots.  Or, they are advertising to men who think women are idiots.  Either way, it sucks. I would bet that if these were TV spots, they would have the actress be a blonde. Creeps.

Just when you might hope that modern day businesses see the merit of treating female consumers like we are intelligent individuals, some sexist crap like this comes out and you realized that most of America hasn't left the dark ages yet.

That's right - Dunkin Donuts sexist crap  - google that!

(I'm a little irked)

No comments:

Post a Comment